October 25, 2017
Sheltie puppies for sale are some of the sweetest and most beautiful around and Petland Gallipolis in Ohio has them!
The small, active Shetland Sheepdog, affectionately nicknamed the Sheltie, was once a Scottish farmer’s best friend: sounding the alarm when anyone approached the property, barking at birds and other animals to shoo them from the garden, and later, with crosses to Scottish herding dogs, keeping the sheep flocks in line. While at first glance they look like a smaller version of the Collie, the two are distinctly different breeds. Now, the Sheltie puppies for sale are mostly a family pet and very popular ones to boot!
Read on for more interesting facts about the Shetland Sheepdog:
- The Shetland Sheepdog stands between 13 and 16 inches tall at the shoulder, but it’s not unusual for them to be over- or undersize. A typical Sheltie weighs about 22 pounds, but a large one can weigh as much as 35 or 40 pounds. They have an average lifespan of 12-15 years.
- Shelties are loving companions for all members of the family, including the kids, but they can be reserved or even shy around strangers. Because of their protective nature, they’re quick to bark if they sense that anything’s amiss in their territory.
- Because of their intelligence, willingness to please, and athletic ability, Shelties excel at performance events. However, they have a drive to be active and they need several walks and playtime daily to be happy.
- They can do well in many different environments, as long as they can be near their owners and have ample playtime.
- While Shelties are very smart, you need to have patience while training them. Make training fun, with lots of affectionate pats and treats. Treats are always the best way to your pup’s heart!
Even though Shelties are a popular breed, they can be hard to find! That’s where Petland comes in! We buy from only the most caring, reputable breeders and we stand behind our puppies 100%. Want to check out all of our Sheltie puppies for sale, click here for our available puppies page. And, as always, give us a call to make an appointment to come get some cuddles today!